Endangered Native Habitats Adventure
Come along as we explore the cloudmist kipuka rainforest on Mauna Loa and the sub-alpine dry forest of Puu Laau on Mauna Kea; two rare habitats. Don’t miss this rare opportunity to witness Hawaii’s native birds and forests. These two places represent Hawaii before human contact; places where plants and birds found nowhere else on earth reveal an evolutionary tale of the islands. Tour available weekdays only. 11 hours roundtrip from our Headquarters in Kailua-Kona. Rated Easy to Moderate. Ages 8 & up.
Includes: mid-morning Snack with Kona Coffee, Tazo Teas, Fresh Fruit and Pound Cakes, Deli Lunch with Beverages, Daypacks, Bottled Water, Binoculars, Walking Sticks, Warm Wear, and Raingear.
- Continental breakfast with baked goods, fresh local fruits, 100% Kona coffee, tea and hot chocolate
- Deli-style lunch with assorted soft drinks, juices and bottled water
- Walking sticks, binoculars, day packs, warm wear and rain ponchos
Big Island Forests
- Where and When:
- Tour departs at 6:30 am and returns at approx. 4:00 pm.
Departs from Hawaii Forest & Trail Headquarters, 73-5593A Olowalu St., Kailua-Kona, HI 96740 View Map
- Participants must be at least 8 years old.
Participants must be able to hike on uneven or rocky terrain.
We sometimes encounter cool, wet, or muddy conditions.
This is a moderate to strenuous hike.
- Special Notes:
- Operation Days:
- 11-12 hours round-trip from Headquarters
- Hawaii Forest and Trail
- Walking sticks, binoculars, day packs, warm wear and rain ponchos are provided.