Ocean Encounters - Morning Reef Snorkel
Departing from Honokohau Harbor, located just north of Kailua-Kona, embark on a snorkel adventure that takes you along the scenic Kohala Coast to heading north to Pu'u Ali'i Bay, home of beautiful Makalawena, one of the best snorkel spots on the Big Island.
This location is known for its lava rock and tranquil water. Home to hundreds of underwater species, the entire area is very rich in marine life. Enjoy great snorkeling conditions along the lava rock outcroppings that run along the multiple coves. This snorkel spot is truly a hidden gem and not easy to get to by car or on foot. It is located off the beaten path and very remote.
- Cruise along the Kohala Coast and enjoy beautiful shoreline views
- Snorkel at Makalawena, home to a wide variety of colorful tropical fish and lava outcroppings
- Snorkel gear (mask, fins, snorkel, wetsuit if necessary, flotation devices)
- Light snacks
- Beverages of soda and water
- Where and When:
- Tour time: 8:30 am to 12:30 pm
Check in at 8:00 am at the Honokohau Marina, 74-425 Kealakehe Parkway, Kailua-Kona, HI 96740 View Map
(For GPS users please note there is more than one Kealakehe!)
Directions for Honokohau Marina & Check-In:
Check in at the Bite Me Logo Store -
The Marina is 5 miles south of Kona airport and 3 or 4 miles north of Kailua-Kona. At the traffic light intersection, take Kealakehe Parkway from the highway (Hwy 19) towards the ocean. You'll see the sailboat masts from the highway and there's a sign for Honokohau Marina. Take that road lined with coconut palms and go Right at your first opportunity. Immediately on your left is a blue building complex with its own parking lot; our office is right by the flagpole.
- There are no specific restrictions for this activity.
- Special Notes:
- Snorkel location may change due to weather and sea conditions.
- Operation Days:
- 4 hours
- 37 passengers
- The Ocean Encounter is a big and roomy 46-foot Delta boat boasting an inside cabin, an upper deck for additional awesome views and a restroom. The vessel features a nice big swim step and an extra sturdy ladder, so you can get into and out of the water easily.