Polynesian Adventure Tours - Big Island Volcano Adventure
Recent volcanic eruptions in 2018 have
drastically changed the landscape of Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, and
for the time being, the Visitor Center, steam vents and parts of Chain
of Craters Road are the only areas that have reopened.Tour Highlights:
- Visit Hawaii Volcanoes National Park (park admission included)
- Volcano House for breakfast buffet (not included in tour price)
- Halema’uma’u Crater – viewed from Volcano House; remarkably changed since June 2018
- Kilauea Visitors Center – educational exhibits and park information
- Steam Vents – ground water seeps down to hot volcanic rocks forming steam clouds
- Kilauea Iki Overlook – smaller pit crater next to main Kilauea caldera
- Chain of Craters Road – scenic drive; sections covered by lava in 2018 Kilauea eruption
- Devastation Trail – walk down a paved path to see the evidence of the 1959 Kilauea eruption
- Kealakomo Overlook – panoramic coastal and lava field views
- Mauna Loa Macadamia Visitor Center
- Akaka Falls
- Rainbow Falls
- Drive through Hilo town
- Drive by King Kamehameha Statue & Shinmachi Tsunami Memorial
- Drive along scenic Banyan Drive
- Liliuokalani Gardens
- Richardson’s Black Sand Beach
Looking to see the Big Island’s spectacular volcanoes and lava landscapes? This Big Island sightseeing tour has you covered! Enjoy a full day of touring all the top volcanic sights at Hawaii Volcanoes National Park and more! This tour gives you a rich cultural experience and an exciting view of nature at work.
You’ll also get to watch a film of a recent eruption and see the volcanic artifacts and other geological and cultural items at the Jaggar Museum and the Kilauea Visitor Center. All along the way, your tour guide will share fascinating insights on the island’s volcanoes, geology and culture. This tour departs from the Hilo side of the Big Island.
- Hawaii Volcanoes National Park (admission included)
- Drive through Hilo town and see scenic Banyan Drive
- See the beautiful 80-foot Rainbow Falls
- Jaggar Museum – informative displays and films of past volcanic eruptions and current activity
- Walk through Thurston Lava Tube
- Visit an orchid and anthurium nursery
- Lunch stop will be made, where you can purchase lunch
- Knowledgeable tour guide provides descriptive narration
- Where and When:
- Pick-up only from Hilo hotels and Hilo Airport.
Pick-up is at approximately 8:15 am with return at approximately 7:00 pm.
- Not suitable for participants with asthma or other respiratory diseases due to possible exposure to fumes.
- Special Notes:
- Use extra caution. You're visiting an area with an active volcano.
- Operation Days:
- Monday, Wednesday, & Friday
- Approximately 11 hours
- Hawaii Forest and Trail
- Comfortable air-conditioned tour bus